The InPsychlopedia

A sophisticated look at some not so sophisticated subjects as well as an alphabet soup of other interesting topics.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The truth about lies.... by Laura

Although the title is very similar to my earlier post there is no connection between the two.


There is something genuinely insulting about obvious lies. Why do people continually lie when they think it is something of value to you? For instance, a girl, let's just call her girl X, blatantly lied to me about her education. I guess, she thought it would impress me if she rattled off the name of a prestigious school. The conversation, a series of errors, was something like:

girl X: " Yeah, I went to business school at Temple, you know, the Wharton business school...."
me: "Umm... you went to the Wharton business school?"

girl X:" Yeah.."

me:" No, you didn't because the Wharton business school belongs to the University of Pennsylvania, which is ivy league....and I don't think you went there...":::::::::::::::::::::::LONG PAUSE TO CONSIDER HER MISTAKE::::::::::::::::::::

girl X: "Well, maybe it was only the Wharton business school's building..."
me: "There's a huge difference..."

When you tell an enormous lie, expect people to notice. I think that liars underestimate people. Girl X probably thought I would not be familiar with the Wharton business school, the first and arguably, the best business school in the world! The psychology of a habitual liar differs from that of a "pressured" liar. I think the habitual liar truly believes that he is the most clever person in EVERY situation. It is an obnoxious overcompensation that shows itself to the listener as a weakness and lack of character.

BOTTOM LINE: I hate liars
Submitted by Laura
More blogs about InPsychlopedia.